Tuesday, November 16, 2010

And so it begins...

I had an award-winning column when I was the editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper entitled "The Truth About..." It was a great experience that enabled me to put down my editorial thoughts as a 17-18 year old kid and eventually won an award from the JEA conference for second place in the state of Missouri. I thought, "Hmmm, surely I can resurrect THAT."

Over a decade later, I have finally decided to start my own blog. What will I write about? What is the purpose?

I look at life and see so many different topics that would drive me to write. Too often, I feel that my Facebook page has become my personal sounding board for everything that I feel at the moment. The more I think about it, Facebook isn't the approrpriate medium for that sort of activity. Some people get angry. Many others don't care. I have 287 friends on Facebook and maybe 2% of them interact with me.

Is that how it's supposed to work? In a day and age where we are more connected than ever, I feel more disconnected with my peers than ever before. It's too easy to write an email, send a text; ever think of calling your friend and inviting them to lunch?

As you can see, my thoughts are very dis-jointed in this first entry. I promise I'll have topics. Some will be funny. Some may make you angry. I never hide who I am, where I came from, and what I believe.

Though right now I'm talking to no one but myself, those of you who utlimately follow this blog, it is my wish for you that I can somehow enrich your life.

Somehow.

-Matt

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it, just make sure the Nebraska 5th down play is limited to only one mention per column. :)

    ReplyDelete